In 1869, John McCarthy and James Quinn built a brewery on the shores of the St. Lawrence River just west of Prescott. McCarthy Brewery became one of the most successful breweries in Upper Canada. Many men in the area were employed at the brewery. As time went by the original establishment grew. With a larger facility, McCarthy could produce 7,000 barrels of beer a year.
During prohibition the brewery was forced to close. It was torn down in 1934.
“Original red bricks from the brewery were used to construct the six cozy cottages…”
Evidence of the brewery can be found in the remains of a wharf used at one time to load river boats with spirits destined for other ports. Old bottles can still be found on the river bottom.
Situated on the former J.M. Carthy & Sons Brewery property, Dewar’s Inn on the River still captures some of the historical aspects of the 1869 brewery. Some original red bricks from the brewery were used to construct the six cozy cottages that overlook the scenic St. Lawrence River.
Former proprietor, Paul Dewar, converted two of the cottages into river view rooms. Dewar’s carpenter skills can also be seen in tables, cabinets and various other pieces throughout the cottages as well as in the breakfast room.
Although ownership has changed throughout the years, the rich historical relics have remained.
The six cozy cottages and the 12 rooms are situated on the banks of the St. Lawrence River.
From sunrise to sunset there are many things to observe. Connect with nature by catching a glimpse of the birds that come to land at the resort.
Unwind on one of the deck chairs and watch the ships pass by.
At night, guests can close their eyes and rest in the silence of the reflective moon.
The owners continue to make upgrades to the resort and have recently added a new platform for weddings and family gatherings. The river and the well-manicured flower gardens that cover most of the resort provide an excellent backdrop for these events.